Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 22, 2015

3 Midterm Reposts

Self Deprecation

My problem that I've had for most of my life is my minor OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder). It's not visible to others, but I have my tendencies. Firstly, I used to check my alarm clock multiple times throughout the night. I knew that it was set, but my brain wouldn't let me go to sleep without being COMPLETELY sure. For a majority of the night, 6:00 A.M. is all that I would see. It caused me to fall asleep a lot later than expected. I would wake up most days feeling more tired. This was a constant problem a few years ago, but has become less pronounced since then.

Another instance of OCD I had was making sure my watch was on positioned on my wrist perfectly. If it was even a little bit off, I would have to readjust it. I'm not sure if it bothered me because I wasn't used to wearing a watch or not, but it didn't really matter to me. All that mattered was trying to figure out how to stop. This was one of my shortest-loved tendencies. Once I started running cross country and it never stayed in place, I didn't notice it as much.

Lastly, the problem I had and still continue to have is constantly checking if I have all my homework and binders for the next day of school. It's annoying having to open my backpack, check the binders and books, and close it up again more than once every night. I'm surprised I haven't worn the zippers off of my backpack from repeatedly using them. However, it has made me more prepared for my classes. I rarely miss home works and always have the right binders for the right classes.


Angry Letter


Dear Bishop Feehan,

For a school with such positive reviews, I find many flaws in the way the school is run and classes conducted. Some of these flaws encouraged me to transfer to Norton High. First off, six forty five minute classes a day is not a productive schedule. Very little work is accomplished in such a short amount of time. As a result, more homework is issued each night. Doing six classes worth of homework a night is a strenuous schedule. It is made even worse if a student participates in a sport,which I did. The homework would often keep me up late at night and even into the morning. It was as if they are trying to deprive students of sleep. Secondly, the religious courses are mandatory and graded improperly. Even though the school is Catholic, a student should be able to pick if they want to take the course or not. During my time at Feehan, I met multiple classmates who were not Catholic. Many attended Feehan strictly for academic reasons, not for the faith aspect. Also, the classes should not be graded the same as an academic course. It should simply be a pass or fail grade. Students who do the work should be rewarded. Lastly, mandatory iPad use was perhaps the worst part of the classes. Often during class, I would be extremely bored. To remedy this, I would search the web or play a game. Although it was entertaining, it took me away from the class and led to me not retaining information. This caused my grades to drop significantly, making my parents disappointed in my performance. If these deterrents were not present, I may have remained at Bishop Feehan. However, that was not the case. I find it ridiculous that the school costs around nine grand each year for minimal quality.

Signed,
Alex Domagalski



Humor/Satire Piece


This past summer, I traveled to Florida with two of my good friends. It was for one of my friend's birthday, so all the activities had been planned out. Many of the things we would be doing were new to me, such as riding ATVs on a track, Go-Kart racing, and playing a full 18 hole game of golf. I was pretty excited to try them out. The most interesting one was definitely the Segway tour through important landmarks of Florida. I expected it to be informative, however, I thought the Segways would be lacking in speed. I was pleasantly surprised when we were told that they could reach speeds of 20 miles per hour. But before we could start riding around, we had to watch a 30 minute safety video on what not to do on a Segway. On the tape, it told us to slowly make turns, go only as fast as the Segway allowed, and keep your balance while riding. Ironically, I decided to do the exact opposite of what I was warned. After the first couple of minutes of driving, I was swerving and speeding along the sidewalk, narrowly missing signs and pedestrians. The closest I came to falling of was when I lost control and barely missed getting swept off the Segway by a tree branch. Halfway through the tour, a storm rolled in and we were forced to take shelter in a library for half an hour. Once the storm ended, we continued the tour. Even with the ground freshly soaked from the downpour, my driving was still as erratic as before. I would come close to being thrown off after drifting too much or driving too fast. I personally couldn't see how ridiculous I looked, but my friends' laughing made it clear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment